Composers rely on recordings to promote their work. Increasingly, conductors rely on recordings to discover new repertoire. The First Readings Project produces high-quality demo recordings for new or unperformed choral works, allowing this music to be introduced to the world. Since 2012, we have documented over 150 works by composers from all over the United States as well as from Brazil, Greece, Germany, Israel, and Japan.
Our choir is typically comprised of sixteen singers, and that number can expand or contract to accommodate the needs of the score. No work is too large or too small to be considered. The cost of a project is calculated by the number of performing personnel and the time spent recording the music.
Services for quarantined composers
Along with the rest of the world, First Readings has postponed its activities for the time being. Please watch here for notices indicating when we’re up and running again.
In the mean time, we’re offering what services we can to support your creative activities while you are all at home. Here are some services that we can provide:
• produce publication-ready scores for performance or publication, whether from rough sketch or transcribed from recording
• help you to polish your score for publication or distribution
• devise piano reductions
• choral notation vs. instrumental notation
• feedback on finished work or work-in-progress
• publishing and promoting your own work
• gaining permissions for copyright-protected text and music
• collecting performance, mechanical, and streaming royalties
Sessions can be in real time over Zoom or Skype, or through email correspondence. Send me a note through the contact link up there to the right. Eventually, we will be able to resume our customary activities. Until then, we’re happy to review scores for future recording. Use the form below to submit your score for a free estimate.
Highlights of Past Work
Upcoming Recording Dates
March 5, 2020 – FULL
April 21, 2020 – POSTPONED
May 28, 2020 – POSTPONED
First Readings Project
Score Submission Form
Have a question or want to pitch an idea?
Get in touch with me here.